Family and Consumer Science Programs in the Tri River Area
|New Holiday Food Safety Web Site
The non-profit Partnership for Food Safety Education invties you to use a new resource - a web site with everything for planning and enjoying a safe, fun, easy, tasty holiday celebration at home!
|2014 ServSafe Certification Course
ServSafe is a nationally recognized course developed by the National Restaurant Association as a comprehensive treatment of the subject of food safety. In Grand Junction, the classes are held at the Business Incubator Center. In Delta, the classes are at the Delta Montrose Technical College. For upcoming dates and to register, please call 970-244-1834.
|Food Safety Moderization Act
Have you procrastinated on reading the proposed ProduceSafety Rule? The November 15th deadline is rapidly approaching but it’s not too late. You can get up to speed in time to submit your comments. FDA’s FSMA Proposed Rule for Produce Safety page is a one-stop shop for all fact sheets related to the subparts of the rule:
FSMA Facts, a produce farmer’s toolkit, has links to specific factsheets and videos for growers and addresses key issues of the Produce Safety Rule:
Attention. Being “exempt” or growing produce that is “not covered” in the regulation does not automatically result in exemption from the marketplace or buyer requirements. Farmers’ market managers or others, for example, could require GAPs, third party audits, and/or adherence to the regulation for vendors or suppliers. Visit the Produce Safety Alliance website to find GAPs educators in your state who can help you implement food safety practices to meet GAP requirements (www.producesafetyalliance.cornell.edu). Click here for more information.
Did You Know....
We Can Test Your Dial Gauge Lids!
Just bring in your dial guage pressure canner lids to one of our Tri River Area county offices, simply call your local Extension office:
Delta 874-2195; Mesa 244-1834; and Montrose & Ouray Counties 249-3935 for more information. Cost is $10 per lid. Gauge accuracy will be tested and recommendations made regarding proper canning times and procedures. Research based information will also be available.
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Online Support
- USDA Meat & Poultry Hotline 1-888-674-6854
- Let's Talk Turkey - A Consumer Guide to Safely Roasting a Turkey
- USDA Meat & Poultry Hotline for the Hearing Impaired (TTY) 1-800-256-7072
- Food Safety and Inspection Service of the USDA - Fall, Winter and Holiday Resources (English and Spanish)
- National Turkey Federation - Seasonal and Holiday Ideas and Chef Cooking Demonstration Video Clips
- University of Nebraska Thanksgiving Preparation Tips
- Smoking Poutry Meat - CSU Extension Fact Sheet
- Food Storage for Safety and Quality - CSU Extension Fact Sheet