Small Acreage Management Program
Whether you have five acres or 100, the goals you set and how you manage your land will determine if it will be beautiful, profitable, productive and purposeful.
The Tri River Area (TRA) Small Acreage Management Program provides educational programs for small acreage landowners and entry-level agriculturists in Delta, Mesa, Montrose and Ouray Counties. The workshops, conferences, webinars, field demonstrations, and our vast array of information can help you meet your objectives no matter what level of experience you have.
For information about establishing and managing small acreage pastures, including proper seeding and planting tips, specifially for our area, please have a look at our recently recorded webinar found here. This talk is about 30 minutes and gives some species specific recommendations on what kinds of grasses and legumes work best in this area and will also offer some basic tips on getting these plants seeded and established.
Raising crops, livestock, or even a simple vegetable garden requires you to know the most effective way to do at least some of the following:
- Understanding your soils
- Setting up and maintaining pastures
- How to plant trees or crops
- Mitigating noxious or obnoxious weeds
- Rotating sheep, goats, cattle, or horses and managing grazing
- Incorporating and working with water entitlements
- Managing pests
- When and the best way to harvest
- Incorporating sustainable agricultural practices into your daily life
- Going organic
- Establishing a direct marketing plan
- Creating a financial plan and saving money
You are the 1347th person to view this website.
- CSU Small Acreage Management
- Related Resources
- Planning for a Sustainable Homestead
- Small Acreage Irrigation Guide
F. Isaac Munoz
Montrose Extension Office
1001 N. 2nd Street
Montrose, CO 81401-3731
Cell: 970-250-0384 Fax: 970-249-7876
To be added to the
Small Acreage E-Mail List
Email: Ginny Price
In the Subject line put Add me to SAM Mailing List
Include your email, name, mailing adress
and phone number